Visual Studio Code for Python Developers Course
People choose VS Code because it's clean and simple. But that simplicity belies a massive amount of functionality that is out there to discover. That's the goal of this course, to take you from simply using VS Code to really leveraging its true potential.
Source code and course GitHub repositorygithub.com/talkpython/vscode-python-course
🐦🔥 Early-access course
This course is offered in early-access. That means it's only partially complete and we will be adding content over the next couple of weeks to finish the entire course contents. It's quite close actually, but we do have additional video editing and other minor aspects to complete.
What's this course about and how is it different?
This course takes you hands-on through creating a real and meaningful Python project using FastAPI to give you a true sense of VS Code's potential and exposure to many of its features. Moverover, it's taught by two experts who have both worked at Microsoft (makers of VS Code).
Not only do you get 2 perspectives and areas of experise, but you also get a lively and fun course co-taught by two fun instructors playing off each other throughout the course.
What topics are covered
In this course, you will:
- Learn how VS Code compares to an IDE, whether it is an IDE, and if it can become one.
- How to choose a Python distribution for your projects.
- Deeply explore the UI of VS Code (e.g. what can you do with the source control feature on the status bar).
- Rearrange windows and panels to suit your style and preferences.
- Use the all-important command palette.
- Install and explore editor themes.
- Customize the terminal inside of VS Code.
- Find and install some of the best extensions.
- Configure VS Code to be optimal for Python development.
- Work with Jupyter notebooks within VS Code.
- Manage your virtual environments, packages, and integrate env tools like Flit.
- Debug and test your Python code.
- Use source control and git within VS Code.
- And lots more
View the full course outline.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to use VS Code as their primary development environment. We keep beginners in mind and help them install the necessary elments (like the correct version of Python and VS Code). But we also think there is a lot to offer experienced Python developers who don't take full advantage of VS Code yet.
All software used in this course is free and open source.
This course is delivered in very high resolution
This course is delivered in 1440p (4x the pixels as 720p). When you're watching the videos for this course, it will feel like you're sitting next to the instructor looking at their screen.
Every little detail, menu item, and icon is clear and crisp. Watch the introductory video at the top of this page to see an example.
Follow along with subtitles and transcripts
Each course comes with subtitles and full transcripts. The transcripts are available as a separate searchable page for each lecture. They also are available in course-wide search results to help you find just the right lecture.
The time to act is now
VS Code is the most popular Python editor today, and for good reason. This course will make sure you are using the full power of that editor to write Python and other code quickly, with the highest quality.
Not sure? You've got nothing to lose. Every one of our courses comes with a 2-week money-back guarantee including this one!
Course Outline: Chapters and Lectures