Python Jumpstart by Building 10 Apps Transcripts
Chapter: App 8: File Searcher App
Lecture: The performance problem

Login or purchase this course to watch this video and the rest of the course contents.
0:01 So let's jump over here to Windows 10 for a minute,
0:04 and continue working on our app,
0:06 and the reason I want to come over to Windows is
0:08 I want to explore this performance problem
0:10 and the tooling on Windows is super good
0:13 for understanding the performance characteristics of individual applications
0:18 rather than system wide.
0:20 So, we are going to change the problem space a little bit,
0:22 we have been previously searching this books folder,
0:25 and if you go look at the properties you will see that's about 5MB of text,
0:30 that's a serious quantity of text
0:32 and it's blasting through ti so that's already impressive,
0:35 but let's look and differ them out.
0:36 Here we have some more books but now we have 2.27 GB of txt files,
0:42 that is a ridiculous amount of text files.
0:46 You'll see that if we try to search that content,
0:48 well the app actually does surprisingly well,
0:52 it really does go through and it finally has results and so on,
0:54 but if we leverage this concept of generator methods and related things
0:58 that will build on other applications further down the line, we can actually do amazingly better, ok,
1:04 so just to make sure everything is working on Windows,
1:08 let me just search the same stuff here,
1:12 ok so we want to search c/users/mkennedy/desktop/books
1:16 and let's search for "incredible".
1:20 Excellent, so it looks like we've found some inverness to from incredible age...
1:25 right, Ulysses, A Dolls' House, not too many results there,
1:30 but you can see it's working. Fantastic,
1:32 now I happen to know from trying this earlier that we need to change this output here
1:38 and in fact if we print out all of this it's going to be so much output
1:44 when we go through the 2 GB of files that it actually causes the problems,
1:48 the significant part of the performance is literally that print right there,
1:53 so instead of doing this we are just going to go and do a count,
1:57 so we'll say match count, now right now this is a list
2:03 and I could just do len of list and just print that out
2:07 but it's going to turn out when that this becomes a generator,
2:12 len of generator doesn't mean the same thing,
2:15 so let me just independently keep track of the count,
2:17 and we'll just say something like this, and let's put a little comma separator
2:22 and we'll do .format and match count.
2:24 So let's run this one more time, ok,
2:27 same place let's search for "funny" and apparently we've found
2:33 33 matches of the word "funny" and the 5 MB of text
2:38 that was really quick, that's awesome, right.
2:40 But they just sort of push a little bit harder in the performance perspective,
2:43 let's search the 2.27 GB of text and we are going to search for something,
2:48 maybe question mark.
2:51 So let me introduce you to process explorer,
2:54 so process explorer is kind of like task manager, activity monitor,
2:57 from OS X but it gets a ton of information both visually
3:03 as well as so things like performance counters on windows
3:06 to tell you what is going on with the apps, and it lets us,
3:10 here is our Python app that is waiting for us to hit go, all right,
3:13 here we go, our app goes, here is our sort of operating memory down here
3:17 and it's dropping into the distance
3:19 so it turns out that searching for question marks in this file
3:24 there are ton of them so we are building them up into our list
3:27 as we are recursively going through these files on disk.
3:31 You can see it's pretty computational heavy,
3:34 pretty IO intense but really the memory is just growing and growing,
3:39 you'll see that when we get to the talking about generators
3:41 that maybe this is not the way this app has to behave, right,
3:45 we can actually incorporate very minor changes into our app
3:49 and get dramatically better performance at least from a memory perspective.
3:59 All right, our process has finished
4:00 and we found 2.7 million question marks in those files,
4:06 and look at the memory,
4:08 this is not the most amazing outcome that we could have had.
4:11 It turns out it took almost 400 MB the way we implemented our algorithm,
4:17 and depending on the how we hold the data or the size of the data,
4:20 it could be even worse.