Modern APIs with FastAPI and Python Course
What students are saying
Source code and course GitHub repositorygithub.com/talkpython/modern-apis-with-fastapi
What's this course about and how is it different?
This course is designed to get you creating new APIs running in the cloud with FastAPIs quickly. We start off with just a little foundational concepts, then jump right into build our first API with FastAPI.
Then we explore the foundational modern Python features to make sure you're ready to take full advantage of this framework. We'll look at how async and await works in Python, how to build self-validating and describing classes with Pydantic, Python 3's type hints, and other core language concepts.
We round out the course by building a realistic API working with live data. Then we deploy that API using nginx + gunicorn + uvicorn running on Ubuntu in a cloud VM at Digital Ocean.
Proceeds support the FastAPI project
Talk Python is a gold sponsor of the FastAPI project. By taking our course, you'll be helping support the improvement and sustainability of FastAPI itself.
What topics are covered
In this course, you will:
- See how simple working with basic APIs in FastAPI can be.
- Create API methods that handle common HTTP verbs (GET, POST, DELETE, etc)
- Return JSON data to API clients
- Use async and await to create truly scalable applications
- Leverage Pydantic to create required and optional data exchange
- Have FastAPI automatically validate and convert data types (e.g. "2021-01-05" to a datetime)
- Organize your app using APIRoutes to properly factor your application across Python files.
- Return the most appropriate error response (e.g. 400 Bad Request) to API clients
- To deploy Python web applications in production-ready configurations on Linux
- Understand why gunicorn and uvicorn should be used together in production
- And lots more
View the full course outline.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to build an API with Python as the backend language. If you want your API to rival the speed and features of any major web API framework, this is the course to take.
The student requirements are quite light for this course. You'll need Basic Python language knowledge:
- API clients (making a call with requests)
Note: All software used during this course, including editors, Python language, etc., are 100% free and open source. You won't have to buy anything to take the course.
Concepts backed by concise visuals
While exploring a topic interactively with demos and live code is very engaging, it can mean losing the forest for the trees. That's why when we hit a new topic, we stop and discuss it with concise and clear visuals.
Here's an example of understanding how FastAPI leverages Python's type hints to indicate require and optional parameters in an API call as well as for type conversion.
Get hands-on for almost every chapter
While watching videos is great to give you that high level overview of what you need to know about a technology, nothing makes that skill your own like writing actual code and creating real web APIs.
In this course, you'll have access to all the source code at github.com/talkpython/modern-apis-with-fastapi. You're encouraged to follow along as we build the various APIs and explore the language features throughout this course.
This course is delivered in very high resolution
This course is delivered in 1440p (4x the pixel count compared to 720p). That means when you are watching the videos for this course, it looks like you are really sitting next to the instructor looking at their screen.
Every little detail, menu item, and icon is clear and crisp. You can watch the introductory video at the top of this page to see an example.
Follow along with subtitles and transcripts
Each course comes with subtitles and full transcripts. The transcripts are available as a separate searchable page for each lecture. They also are available in course-wide search results to help you find just the right lecture.
Who am I? Why should you take my course?
My name is Michael, nice to meet you. ;) There are a couple of reasons I'm especially qualified to teach you Python.
1. I'm the host of the #1 podcast on Python called Talk Python To Me. Over there, I've interviewed many of the leaders and creators in the Python community. I bring that perspective to all the courses I create.
2. I've been a professional software trainer for over 10 years. I have taught literally thousands of professional developers in hundreds of courses throughout the world.
3. Students have loved my courses. Here are just a few quotes from past students of mine.
"Michael is super knowledgeable, loves his craft, and he conveys it all well. I would highly recommend his training class anytime." - Robert F.
"Michael is simply an outstanding instructor." - Kevin R.
"Michael was an encyclopedia for the deep inner workings of Python. Very impressive." - Neal L.
Free office hours keep you from getting stuck
One of the challenges of self-paced online learning is getting stuck. It can be hard to get the help you need to get unstuck.
That's why at Talk Python Training, we offer live, online office hours. You drop in and join a group of fellow students to chat about your course progress and see solutions via screen sharing.
Just visit your account page to see the upcoming office hour schedule.
The time to act is now
If you are at all interested in building web APIs, you owe it to yourself to give FastAPI a look. This 4-hour course is just the right amount of hands on and no fluff for you to decide right away if FastAPI is right for your next project. Take the course and find out for yourself.
Not sure? You've got nothing to lose. Every one of our courses comes with a 2-week money-back guarantee including this one!