MongoDB for Developers with Python
Available on Humble Bundle for a short time
This course is part of Humble Bundle's Level Up Your Python Bundle.
Why show this when you might pay the full price? Because it's the right thing to do. If it's on sale somewhere, you should know that's an option. It won't be on sale for long and we don't often run discounts. So take advantage of this if you are considering the course.
What students are saying
Source code and course GitHub repositorygithub.com/mikeckennedy/mongodb-for-python-for-developers
What's this course about and how is it different?
This course will teach you how to use MongoDB and document databases to build simpler and faster data-driven applications.
We start by explaining the origin and major concepts of NoSQL and document databases. You then learn how to work with MongoDB from its native shell as well as from Python using PyMongo.
Many MongoDB courses stop there. This course is meant to be a practical end-to-end coverage of MongoDB. We go beyond scratching the surface by covering real-world topics.
You'll see how to use mongoengine (a popular ODM for MongoDB - think ORM for NoSQL) to map classes to MongoDB. This brings many benefits including features not available in MongoDB (like type verification on fields, etc.).
After we master working with MongoDB from Python, we'll turn our attention to performance. We take a large database with millions of data points and make it run hundreds of times faster than you get out-of-the-box with MongoDB.
We wrap up the course by deploying MongoDB to production Linux servers. There are a few very important steps to getting MongoDB running in production and we'll go step-by-step through this setup.
In the end, you'll be ready to start building and running high performance, MongoDB-backed, data-driven applications.
View the full course outline
Who is this course for?
Anyone who knows Python and would like to learn how to use NoSQL, MongoDB, and document databases to build amazing applications.
What will you learn in this course?
Some topics covered include.
- Exactly what NoSQL means and the origins of NoSQL databases
- How to install and configure MongoDB on your operating system
- MongoDB's native query syntax
- Searching subdocuments and other advanced queries
- How to use MongoDB's atomic, transactional operators
- Using PyMongo to connect to MongoDB from Python
- Mapping classes from Python to MongoDB with mongoengine
- Document design and data modeling techniques
- How to tune MongoDB for high performance
- To deploy MongoDB into production with SSL, authentication, auto-updates and more
View the full course outline
Concepts backed by concise visuals
While exploring a topic interactively with demos and live code is very engaging, it can lose the forest for the trees. That's why when we hit a new topic, we stop and discuss it with concise and clear visuals.
Here's an example for when we first introduce performance tuning in MongoDB.
Follow along with subtitles and transcripts
Each course comes with subtitles and full transcripts. The transcripts are available as a separate searchable page for each lecture. They also are available in course-wide search results to help you find just the right lecture.
Who am I? Why should you take my course?
My name is Michael, nice to meet you. ;) There are a couple of reasons I'm especially qualified to teach you Python.
1. I'm the host of the #1 podcast on Python called Talk Python To Me. On there I've interviewed many of the leaders and creators in the Python community. I bring that perspective to all the courses I create.
2. I've been a professional software trainer for over 10 years. I have taught literally thousands of professional developers in hundreds of courses throughout the world.
3. Students have loved my courses. Here are just a few of quotes from past students of mine.
"Michael is super knowledgeable, loves his craft, and he conveys it all well. I would highly recommend his training class anytime." - Robert F.
"Michael is simply an outstanding instructor." - Kevin R.
"Michael was an encyclopedia for the deep inner workings of Python. Very impressive." - Neal L.
Free office hours keep you from getting stuck
One of the challenges of self-paced online learning is getting stuck. It can be hard to get the help you need to get unstuck.
That's why at Talk Python Training, we offer live, online office hours. You drop in and join a group of fellow students to chat about your course progress and see solutions via screen sharing.
Just visit your account page to see the upcoming office hour schedule.
Is this course based on Python 3 or Python 2?
This course is based upon Python 3. With Python 2 going unsupported in 2020, we believe that it would be ill-advised to teach or learn Python 2.
The time to act is now
Go beyond just learning MongoDB. Deeply understand this powerful database and build high-performance, data-driven applications.