Anvil: Web Apps With Nothing but Python Course
Source code and course GitHub repositorygithub.com/talkpython/anvil-course
What's this course about and how is it different?
This is the definitive course on building web apps with Anvil and Python. It covers the core concepts for sure: forms, design components, and databases. But also covers building an ecommerce web application from scratch including secure user management.
In this course, you will:
- Creating your first Anvil web application
- How Anvil seamlessly mixes a single page browser-based app with a backend
- Using the form designer to create visually interesting user interfaces
- Understand how the code-behind Python integrates with the UI elements
- Add validation for user input
- Navigate between multiple forms without reloading the application
- Create user accounts and allow login from multiple sources
- Model data in the Anvil database service
- Insert into and query data from the database service
- Integrate Plotly plots for interactive charts and graphs
- Build HTTP endpoints and custom APIs for your Anvil app
- Host your application on a custom domain, including SSL support
- Add Stripe credit card support to allow for purchases directly within the application
And lots more
View the full course outline.
Who is this course for?
This course assumes some basic knowledge of Python. It does not use advanced features of the language in significant ways so basic knowledge may be sufficient. But the course is not a beginner Python course, so students with little to no Python language experience should take a foundational course first. We recommend our Python Jumpstart by Building 10 Apps as a prerequisite if needed.
Concepts backed by concise visuals
While exploring a topic interactively with demos and live code is very engaging, it can mean losing the forest for the trees. That's why when we hit a new topic, we stop and discuss it with concise and clear visuals.
Here's an example of introducing the concept of navigating between views (components) without reloading the entire Anvil web app.
Follow along with subtitles and transcripts
Each course comes with subtitles and full transcripts. The transcripts are available as a separate searchable page for each lecture. They also are available in course-wide search results to help you find just the right lecture.
Get hands-on for almost every chapter
Learning to code is an interactive experience. That's why it's important to write code and explore the app we build during this course. We encourage you to build a similar web app using your Anvil account while going through each chapter. The source code for the entire application will be available both on the GitHub repo as well as clonable directly within Anvil.
Who am I? Why should you take my course?
My name is Michael, nice to meet you. ;) There are a couple of reasons I'm especially qualified to teach you Python.
1. I'm the host of the #1 podcast on Python called Talk Python To Me. Over there, I've interviewed many of the leaders and creators in the Python community. I bring that perspective to all the courses I create.
2. I've been a professional software trainer for over 10 years. I have taught literally thousands of professional developers in hundreds of courses throughout the world.
3. Students have loved my courses. Here are just a few quotes from past students of mine.
"Michael is super knowledgeable, loves his craft, and he conveys it all well. I would highly recommend his training class anytime." - Robert F.
"Michael is simply an outstanding instructor." - Kevin R.
"Michael was an encyclopedia for the deep inner workings of Python. Very impressive." - Neal L.
Free office hours keep you from getting stuck
One of the challenges of self-paced online learning is getting stuck. It can be hard to get the help you need to get unstuck.
That's why at Talk Python Training, we offer live, online office hours. You drop in and join a group of fellow students to chat about your course progress and see solutions via screen sharing.
Just visit your account page to see the upcoming office hour schedule.
The time to act is now
Have you struggled to convert your idea into a Python-based web app. Anvil significantly simplifies that process. Take this course and finally create that app you've always wanted to.